Saturday 12 July 2014

"BRAZIL" – QUATOUR EBENE

Fun in the sun! I should tango!

It is hot. I am hot and at the moment under-cheered. With the door shut it is stifling, yet with the door open, in wanders the noise of the street, exhaust fumes and even more heat. On the CD player is the album Brazil by Quatour Ebene with chums Bernard Lavilliers, Stacey Kent and the Brazil Choir and String Orchestra. It is the quartet's latest recording and is the second of their ‘fusion’ projects. This one is firmly camped in the rhythms and atmosphere of South America, samba, bossa nova and the tango.

Their choice of repertoire for this recording runs from Piazzolla to Stevie Wonder, Sting to Chaplin, taking in lesser-known Brazilian composers along the way and a collaboration with the extraordinary Bernard Lavilliers – a ruggedly handsome,  smokey-voiced French singer/songwriter, ex-steel worker, boxer, ex-con, traveller and sometime reporter with a fascination for the music of South America and Africa.

Now, I love this album. I’m not usually a big fan of classical musicians adventuring beyond their customary boundaries and comfort zones – it just never sounds all that convincing.  I don’t cringe very easily but classical-jazz/samba/rock crossovers will usually have me blushing and wondering where to put myself before realising that it’s the CD that needs to be put somewhere else, out of its-and my-misery.  But this… the first track I heard was their take on Libertango – not a piece that is under represented in the world of recorded music. After an enigmatic introduction the cello begins with the familiar ostinato rhythm, crisp and unwavering, which is passed between instruments throughout. One of the reasons I think that this works so well is the quality of the sound that the quartet produces. It doesn’t have the over refined aura which could mark them out as 'classicos' on a rather self-conscious holiday. It has a wonderful edginess, bordering on but never tipping over into abrasiveness. You can believe that you are listening to string players who have never left Brazil and are steeped in the culture.

Something else that sets this recording apart is the outstanding quality and inventiveness of the arranging. Brave choices that push at the harmonic structure of the pieces but don’t undermine the original versions; a keen awareness of how string instruments blend with one another and as part of a larger group, and always managing to sound fresh and spontaneous, almost improvised. The two voices are both husky and sultry. Both accomplished and evocative of times and places beyond the tawdry here and now of a Friday afternoon. Both of whom you will gladly let take up residence in your soul to provide the soundtrack for a landscape to which you can transport yourself when the world encroaches…


The sheer joy of life that these young men and their collaborators exhibit is the main reason that I love this CD. This is joyful music, reveling in the heat and intense feeling and rhythms of South America. At the beginning I said that I was hot and cheer-lite - I am still hot but I can imagine the heat to be the heat of a Brazilian beach after dark with its compelling beats and seductive voices. I’m off home now to put this CD on again and pour myself a caiparinha and let the abundant cheer wash over and through me. I suggest you do the same.


Blog: Matthew Greswell 










No comments:

Post a Comment